Our History

History

Dana and Ginger Hetland have owned and operated the Roy-Hetland Funeral Home in Osakis since 1981. The funeral home building was originally a turn-of-the-century farmhouse built in the 1800's.  In the 1940's, John and Alpha Hanson first remodeled this farmhouse into a funeral parlor. (Prior to that, families held funeral wakes for the deceased in their own homes.)  In the 1950's, the funeral home was sold to Sherman and Sarah Larson. When they relocated to Iowa in 1956, Mr. Bill Roy and his wife, Mary purchased the funeral home as well as the Osakis Furniture Store.  Upon his retirement In 1981, Bill closed the furniture store and sold the funeral home to his new son-in-law, Dana Hetland.  The Hetland's have operated the family business now for over thirty years.  Remodeling projects have included handicap facilities, family meeting and reception rooms.